Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Washing my second load of diapers!

So we are officially using cloth diapers on our son! Rex seems to like them well enough and they are really easy!

We took the first couple of days and used the 'sposies that the hospital gave us, and a few out of a pack that our family gave us. We wanted to make sure that Rex's circumcision wasn't bleeding anymore and that he was pretty much done with the meconium before we started putting him in cloth.

Andy and I are both really impressed with the way they are working for us. Since this is our first child, we really didn't have any other expectations and so we're only judging based on using the disposables for a couple of days, but the cloth is just as easy! We are using disposable wipes right now, because we've been given quite a few of them, so we have the extra hassle of having the cloth diaper pail and a trash bag for the wipes, but once we run out of the throw-away wipes, we'll start using cloth wipes and not have that extra step.

We haven't really had Rex out of the house for long enough to have to deal with a diaper change, but a wet bag in the diaper bag is ready and waiting for a dirty diaper and I'm confident that there won't be any hassle for regular trips out of the house while using cloth diapers.

As for washing my diapers, I'm using a home-made laundry detergent (I'll have a seperate post about that) and washing once on hot and rinsing cold (as a reminder, I'd use a hot rinse, but my washer doesn't have that option) with the detergent, then doing another cycle without detergent, then either line drying or machine drying depending on when the load is getting done. I've washed one load and those are working great on Rex right now, so I don't think I'm going to modify anything unless I notice issues later on. Also, I'm exclusively breastfeeding, so I'm not doing anything special with poopy diapers. They go right into the pail like a pee diaper and get washed the same, since the poop from breastmilk is water soluble. Once we start feeding him solid foods (In months and months) we'll set something up in the bathroom to rinse the poop off into the toilet, then put the dipes in the pail.

If you haven't ever considered using cloth diapers, or you're on the fence, feel free to ask some questions. I don't have all the answers, because I'm learning as I go, but if I don't know an answer I'll try to find a resource that will have the answer, because it's information that I'll probably need as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment