Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My Home-made laundry detergent!

I was doing research online about what kind of detergent I should use with cloth diapers. All the options available for purchase were really expensive and seemed like they weren't all that special. So I started hunting for a cloth diaper friendly recipe for a home-made detergent. I found several online and combined the concepts and mixed up a batch to try.

I decided it would be easier for me to use a powder detergent instead of a liquid one, mostly because that way I wouldn't have to find/save a jug to use. With the powder I was able to stick it in a plastic storage container and not worry about melting things together and adding lots of water to make it pour well.

My recipe is:
1 1/2 Cups Borax
1 Cup Baking soda
1 Cup washing soda
1 Cup (1 bar) ivory bar soap.

You grate the soap finely and then mix all the ingredients together. I don't measure how much I use for each load, I just sprinkle some in, but I know it doesn't take much. It rinsed out of my first load of diapers very well. I've got the second load washing right now, so I'm assuming it will do as well as the first load did.

All of the ingredients were available at my local grocery store in the laundry aisle and the baking aisle (the baking soda). I spent about 10 dollars for all of my items. I purchased big boxes of everything so I can make several batches of the detergent without having to go shopping in between. I figure that's a much better deal than 30 dollars for a detergent that really doesn't have a whole lot more ingredients and will do fewer loads of laundry!

No comments:

Post a Comment