Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My first adventure with new cloth diapers!

Well, we decided months and months ago that we would be using cloth diapers exclusively for our son. It's cheaper, safer, more economically friendly, and the right choice for us. Earlier in my pregnancy my mother in law kindly purchased the beginnings of a VERY good stash of gently used pre-folds and covers as well as a few pocket diapers and all-in-ones. I did need more prefolds and covers, so recently I went online and found a great deal on some 100% cotton Chinese Prefolds. They are brand new and even though I'm a novice in the world of cloth diapers I knew I needed to "prep" them to remove oils and to make them fluffy and absorbant.

I didn't really know what to expect when I was prepping them, so I turned to my old friend "google" and did a little research. There were a ton of different techniques and articles and tidbits of advice so I just compiled them in my head and decided to create my own system!

I prepped my diapers by washing them on HOT with a cold rinse (My washer won't do a hot rinse, but if it did, I would've chosen that) once with Purex Baby. Then I put them on the clothes line to dry. That took all day, so I was only able to get that first cycle done the first day. The second day I washed again, only this time without any detergent. I dried in the dryer. I repeated that hot wash, cold rinse, machine dry for a total of 5 washes including the detergent cycle. In the end they were fluffy, absorbent and soft. That's the whole point of prepping, so I called it good. Tune in again to see how my birth went and how our first adventures with USING cloth diapers has turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment